|Version 34 (modified by 12 years ago) ( diff ),|
This section describes how to prepare the PC environment for building the CRKit framework using either shell scripts or Simulink.
To build the CRKit framework, we would need the following tools :
- Xilinx ISE Design Suite 10.1
- MATLAB R2008a
- Cygwin (Optional only. If Xilinx EDK tools have been installed then you may use the EDK shell instead. However, the shell terminal is only required if you are planning to run scripts to simulate/build the CRKit platform. If using MATLAB/Simulink environment only then omit this step. Cygwin is known to have interoperability issues with older version of Xilinx EDK shell, therefore it is recommended to use ISE/EDK 10.1 or higher)
In our reference environment, we are using two drive partitions : C:\ partition for OS and software applications, and D:\ for data files. If you are not using the same drive partitions or directory structures, then you will need to modify the links to the appropriate folders/files according to your particular environment. In the following, we have assumed that all the above software have been installed successfully on your machine.
In C:\ , do the following steps :
- Create 'hw' folder, and 'xlib' subfolder e.g c:\hw and c:\hw\xlib. xlib contains the Xilinx precompiled libraries for Modelsim. Those libraries are used only for simulation purposes.
- Compile Xilinx ISE and EDK libraries into c:\hw\xlib\ise10.1 and c:\hw\xlib\edk10.1, respectively. Each time Xilinx ISE or Modelsim version has been updated then the libraries will need to be recompiled. How to compile Xilinx libraries.
In D:\ , do the following steps :
- Create 'crkit_svn' folder e.g. d:\crkit_svn, this is the location for CRKit svn folder. How to synchronize with CRKit SVN.
- Create 'hw' folder e.g. d:\hw, create 'cr_build' and 'simulink' subfolders e.g. d:\hw\cr_build and d:\hw\simulink . cr_build subfolder is where the Xilinx ISE place/route project files will be located, simulink subfolder is where the MATLAB/Simulink generated files will be located.
Windows Environment Variable
First, we will setup the .bash_profile (this file should be located in "c:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_ACCOUNT") The .bash_profile environment variables will be loaded into cygwin shell when started. Add following to the .bash_profile
export SDR_HDL_HOME="YOUR_PATH_TO_CRKIT_SVN_FOLDER/design/trunk" #example : export SDR_HDL_HOME="d:/mystuff/crkit_svn/design/trunk" export CYG_SDR_HDL_HOME="CYGWIN_PATH_TO_CRKIT_SVN_FOLDER/design/trunk #example : export CYG_SDR_HDL_HOME="/cygdrive/d/mystuff/crkit_svn/design/trunk" export MODELSIM_WORK_HOME="YOUR_PATH_TO_MODELSIM_WORK_FOLDER" #example : export MODELSIM_WORK_HOME="d:/mystuff/hw" export XILINX_ISE_MODELS="YOUR_PATH_XILINX_ISE_PRECOMPILED_LIBRARIES" #example : export XILINX_ISE_MODELS="d:/mystuff/hw/xlib/ise10.1" export XILINX_EDK_MODELS="YOUR_PATH_XILINX_EDK_PRECOMPILED_LIBRARIES" #example : export XILINX_EDK_MODELS="d:/mystuff/hw/xlib/edk10.1" export MODELSIM="$SDR_HDL_HOME/setup/modelsim.ini" export MODEL_TECH="YOUR_PATH_TO_MODELSIM_FOLDER" #example : export MODEL_TECH="c:/Modeltech_6.4c" export CYG_MODEL_TECH="CYGWIN_PATH_TO_MODELSIM_FOLDER" #example : export CYG_MODEL_TECH="/cygdrive/c/Modeltech_6.4c" export PATH=$CYG_HDL_HOME/setup:$CYG_MODEL_TECH/win32:$PATH unset autologout cd $CYG_SDR_HDL_HOME/setup
The .bash_profile assumes that the following folders are available for linking
- CRKit svn folder
- Modelsim work folder
- Xilinx ISE precompiled libraries
- Xilinx EDK precompiled libraries (optional for now)
It is a good strategy to combine the modelsim, ise and edk subfolders in a top folder such as
Those files should be kept outside off the CRKit svn folder environment.